Thursday, October 05, 2006

Pat the Bat

Why do Phillies fans dislike Pat Burrell so much? The answer to that question has been discussed over and over again, but it remains a mystery to me. Forget what you know about Pat Burrell and pretend the following Burrell quotes are actually from Philly fan favorite Aaron Rowand [Philadelphia Inquirer]:

"I want to be back, and I plan on being back."

"It's difficult," he said of sitting out games. "But the team is bigger than just me. Sometimes you have to accept the fact that maybe the manager feels the team is better off with someone else out there. You don't like it, but it's part of the game."

He added again that he'd like to return next season and talked about his loyalty to the Phillies.

So, Pat Burrell wants to be in Philadelphia, feels loyalty to the Phillies organization, and realizes that he is not bigger than the team. I can really see how the public perception of this player matches up with reality…More Burrell:

"I didn't understand a lot of it, to be honest. I've been around town long enough to know that [the fans] have their guys. Maybe I'm one of the guys that doesn't fit into the mold or whatever, but that's something I can't control.”

"I had a major-league contract the day I signed," Burrell said. "Not a lot of guys can say that. I feel fortunate. I'm grateful. You feel loyalty to the people who take care of you."

Pat Burrell is right; the fans do have their guys and he doesn’t fit the mold. Pat Burrell isn’t the problem for not fitting the mold; it’s the Philadelphia fan designed mold that is at fault.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abreu too -- he was ripped for not "hustling," whatever that means, and not "giving his all." So dumb. From '98 to '05, by the way, the fewest number of games played by Abreu in a single season was 151. I know you knew that already. But still.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree. So weird how Phillie fans turned on a dime - they give the guy a pass for six years and now, in the seventh, that's it. He makes a lot of money, no question, but so do all ballplayers. The city has been horrible to him this year and it's awful.

10:19 PM  
Blogger GM-Carson said...

I like Burrell. I get angry with watching him take so many called 3rd strikes, but over at WSBGM's we've always supported him and will continue to do so while he's a Phillie. Bottom line, he helps this club whether people are willing to give him credit or not.

6:43 AM  
Blogger XXX said...

Very good comments all, I loved the first two. Glad to see the boys at WSBGM's have decided to lend Burrell some support (though I'm forever mystified and turned off by the anger geared towards Bobby Abreu - why support Burrell and trash the superior Abreu?)

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home