Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Minor League Update

I was at the ballpark last night for the Phillies 4-2 win over the Nats and am planning on leaving for today's BPS at the park in a bit...hopefully the hot streak will continue...I'm sure it will since I'm such good luck and all...on to the minors...

AAA Scranton-WB

  • Josh Kroeger: 0-2, BB, K
  • Danny Sandoval: 0-3
  • Brennan King: 0-2
  • Chris Roberson: 0-4, K
  • Carlos Ruiz: 0-3, BB

  • Seung Lee (L, 4-4): 6 IP 7 H 8 ER 2 BB 2 K

  • Matt Kata (Reds): 2-5, HR, 2B, 3RBI, R

Scranton only got three hits on the night – two for Ryan Fleming, one for Bobby Scales - so there really isn't all that much to add...Eude Brito got promoted to Philly and will join the Phillies rotation for the time being...more on Brito in the coming days...

AA Reading

  • Michael Bourn: 1-4, R, BB, K
  • Tim Moss: 0-3, BB, K, E (9)
  • Jason Jaramillo: DL
  • Angel Chavez: 0-3, BB
  • Zack Segovia: 1-1, HBP

  • Jorge Padilla (Mets): 1-3, 2B, RBI
  • Zack Segovia (W, 3-1): 5 IP 5 H 1 ER 1 BB 4 K
How do you spell Segovia's first name? I've seen it Zach almost everywhere, but I've stuck with Zack for the time being because that is what he listed at on his player page at minorleaguebaseball.com. All I know is however you want to spell his name, the guy can pitch...

High A Clearwater

  • Mike Costanzo: 1-4, RBI, R
  • Brad Harman: 0-4, RBI
  • Bryan Hansen: 1-4, K
  • Tuffy Gosewisch: 0-3

  • Andrew Baldwin (L, 1-5): 6.1 IP 3 H 4 ER 3 BB 5 K
  • Nick Evangelista: 0.1 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 1 K
Evangelista still hasn't been scored on in five innings out of the bullpen since returning from injury...he is old enough to warrant a promotion to Reading any day now...

Low A Lakewood

  • Greg Golson: 2-5, R
  • Welinson Baez: 0-4, BB, 3 K
  • Lou Marson: 1-4, RBI, BB, K, E (6)
  • Jeremy Slayden: 0-1, K
  • Clay Harris: 0-2, R, 3 BB, K
  • Sean Gamble: 1-4, RBI, R, K
  • Justin Blaine: 1.1 IP 4 H 1 ER 1 BB 0 K
  • Pat Overholt: 1.2 IP 2 H 1 ER 0 BB 2 K
I say it almost everytime he gets a hit, but is this 2-hit game by Golson the springboard to a hot streak that ends with his promotion to Clearwater? We can only hope...

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Have you gone strictly to minor league coverage now? I read a rumor concerning Pat Burrell to the Yankees. Have you heard anything about that?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

What about Burrell for Chien-Ming Wang? Or better yet Phillip Hughes, I think that's the Yanks top pitching prospect.

10:48 AM  
Blogger XXX said...

I might go with mostly minors for the time being - with less time to spend on this site in the summer, I take the easy road. I figure focusing on the minors at least provides some information on an area that isn't covered everywhere else. It isn't an ideal set-up, but it's all I've got for the time being. I've also been working on a little side project relating to baseball which I'll be unveiling very shortly...

The Burrell or Abreu rumors linking either to the Yankees have been non-stop over the past week - I'm not buying any deal between the Phils and Yanks this year, but I guess nothing can be ruled out.

Chien-Ming Wang had a pretty nice year for a rookie (as did Robby Cano, but his was just not as impressive as the national/New York media would have you believe) and I appreciate a pitcher with such a low walk rate (only 32 in 116.2 innings). I just am far from sold on a picther with such an abysmal K/9 rate (3.64). If Chien-Ming Wang put up the same numbers anywhere else (save perhaps Boston, maybe even Chicago - Cubs of course) then nobody would know who he is nationally. Prospects are always the next big thing in New York. Both are solid players coming off of solid years and have long futures as major leaguers, but neither should even be mentioned in a package for Bobby Abreu or Pat Burrell.

If the Yankees offered a package of say, Philip Hughes, Eric Duncan, and Jeff Marquez or Tyler Clippard, I'd have to listen. I'm a big believer in Hughes. I had the opportunity to see him pitch this year (SAL Charleston SC) and he was very, very impressive. The numbers back it up. If Hughes and Duncan, a young 1B (who has played third in the past but is a bit of a butcher at the position) whom scouts have mixed opinions on, were offered along with either of the other two pitchers, then I'd listen.

So, the bottom line is I don't see Wang for Burrell being close to equal value but would think both sides could potentially have an interest in a Burrell-Hughes swap.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home