Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Man of the People

Anonymous said...

is depodesta a possible canidate for the position of phillies gm?

I got this question in the Comments section of the DePodesta post and I thought I'd just transfer my answer from their to the light of day. Hopefully there is more to talk about concerning DePo in the coming days, but the amount of time dedicated to him will be dictated by Montgomery's interest. My answer was quick and simple, but I can elaborate if anybody cares enough.

Response...

As much as I'd like to see him get an interview for the job, I don't see it happening. I think he is the best candidate out there right now and did a good job in his 2 years in LA, but the stigma of being a "stats geek" was too much for Dodger ownership to deal with. The current Dodger leadership group with Frank McCourt as majority owner is an absolute joke. McCourt makes Montgomery look baseball savvy - although not quite bright enough to take the chance on DePodesta.

As for DePo, his future is bright - there are rumored offers coming in from Colorado and Oakland already with more on the way I'd imagine. It might be smart to take a job as an assistant or special advisor for a year in order to regroup. If he goes this route, I fully expect him to be a hot name when teams are looking for a GM in 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home